Tuesday, March 29, 2011

New Pieces Finished and In Progress.

I've been feeling sort of down in-the-dumps. My artwork hasn't really been going anywhere lately and it's difficult sometimes to find the necessary drive and passion to continue on. Slowly I feel the shadowy curtain lifting and I know that I'll get back to my old self eventually, but it's been a rough few weeks.

I received a call from my mom last night telling me that my great uncle, Paul, has passed away. I didn't know him too well, but somehow his death has affected me more than I would have thought. My grandmother passed away late last year and Paul was the last of her surviving siblings.For some reason I feel as if I've lost my grandmother all over again. I suppose that I always saw him as someone I could visit so that I could hear stories of my grandmother's youth.  I would also like to mention my sadness that Diana Wynne Jones has passed away. She was one of my favorite fantasy authors and she will be sorely missed. My edition of Howl's Moving Castle is falling apart at the binding I've read it so many times! If you haven't read it, do it ASAP. If you aren't the reading type, you can get a slight feel for her creative genius by watching Howl's Moving Castle by Hayao Miyazaki. (who is a genius in his own right )



We often mourn the dead but really it's the people left behind who do the suffering.

On a more upbeat and happy note, I have been working on several projects that I thought I would share with you. I decided to turn my Princess and the Bluebird pendant into a necklace. I think that I was a bit too anal when beading it. It took a lot longer than it should have. I always want the necklace to be the perfect combination of color, size and texture for the pendant that it is framing. I am pretty happy with the end result. Not so happy with the photos right now, but the weather has been pretty dismal lately.

 

I have also created another fairy brooch. I am really liking the look of this one and should be able to finish it pretty soon. I want to create a drop for it as well as a matching necklace so that you can hook the brooch onto the necklace ends and create a necklace if you want.


I also did a sketch of a water nymph or naiad that I'm pretty fond of. I like her "come hither" look. I can easily see her luring some young man or sailor to a watery grave. Something innocent and yet dangerous about her...

I have some prints available as well as a really cool iphone skin available here.

4 comments:

  1. Nice Rebbeca;-)

    Cheers Mariette @petitbijouartshop!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is some beautiful, beautiful artwork here! Wow! I hope spring comes soon for you, and you can get outside and soak up some sun. I enjoy your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much Katherine! You are always such a wonderfully supportive person. We've actually bi-passed spring here and have moved on to hot muggy summer. It's pretty depressing to be missing out on those lovely temperate spring days. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rebecca,
    I've been away from the online thing and want to convey my sincerest condolences for the passing of your great uncle Paul. I hope you've found solace in those around you.

    As usual your creations are beautiful. I especially love the fairy brooch as it reflects your unique creativity. I love your soundtrack as well. I wish you well and hope to see you round the etsy neighborhood soon. Take care of yourself and thanks for sharing.

    All The Best

    ReplyDelete