Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Blog Under Construction and Top Ten Mistake to Avoid when Blogging!


I've been wanting to re-vamp my blog for awhile now. It's been a few years and seems like it's about that time again.



Rather than just sort of winging it this time, I decided to actually do a little research on blogging.
I picked up the book 'Blogging For Creatives' by Robin Houghton. You can pick up this book at Amazon.com here or you can just do what I did and look for it in your local library.

I will say that this was a very helpful book. Some of the things mentioned were things that I had already discovered through trial and error, but other things I had no clue about.


I'm not going to do a review or summary of the book, but I will at least list her

 Top 10 Mistakes to Avoid.

1. Too many gadgets and embellishments
2. Light text on a dark background (ooo I was guilty of this one! Sorry for any eye strain and headaches that I've given you over the years! )
3. Too Much Information (TMI) Don't get too personal with your blog posts
4. Too Little Information- Don't be anonymous.
5. Uninspiring Blog Post Titles
6. Links not saying where they go.
7. Mixing too many topics or lack of focus.
8. Using automatically loading music or video ( I did this early on when I started blogging and quickly figured this out myself)
9. Not posting frequently enough. She recommended at least once per week. (I have definitely been guilty of this one, but am hopefully better now)
10. Spelling and grammatical errors. (I always try 2 spell gud) ;)

Anyway, I'm afraid that you'll have to put up with an ever-changing blog for a few weeks or so while I work out the kinks and get it to a point where I'm happy with it. The current look of it is downright terrible, in my opinion, so it's definitely not going to stay like this for long. Just trying to figure out a banner and template that I am happy with.

Any suggestions or ideas are more than welcome! What sort of mistakes have you made while blogging that isn't on Ms. Hough's list?

No comments:

Post a Comment