Wednesday, May 14, 2014

New Sketches for the Week!

This week's 'Sketch A Day' project has been pretty productive. In the past, I've had a hard time finding the time or energy after my day job to sketch anything. This week I was pretty good about doing something everyday. It's sort of funny though. My week started with me just drawing from my head. Then it was drawing from my head, but inspired by events in my life and by the end of the week I was just drawing from events in my life. This is why I'm loving this project though. It allows me the freedom to just draw whatever comes into my head or inspires me at the time without any sort of constraints. I've also stopped doing my sketches solely in pen and ink and have added watercolors into the mix.

 
Fairies have been a common theme amongst my sketches, but this one has more of a Jane Austin feel about her. Probably due to all of the Jane Austin books I've been indulging in. ;)
 
May 5th, 2014

 
Two of my friends had babies within hours of each other so it only seemed natural that my 'sketch of the day' be inspired by them. Their daughter's names are Winnie and Violet and I drew this sketch as a way of celebrating this happy occasion and welcoming them into our world. This was also my first time attempting to draw a baby and I'm surprisingly happy with the way she turned out. :)
 
May 6th, 2014
 
 
I saw some ducklings playing in the water the other day and took a million photos to capture them.
Once I started drawing them, I realized that I would really like to add color, so I changed my definition of 'sketching' to include watercolors. :)
These two siblings were hiding underneath the lily pads and I just thought that they were too cute!
May 8th, 2014

This little guy had a lot of character. It was really a lot of fun drawing these sweet little bundles of fluff and webbed feet! I just might end up drawing a few more of them...
May 9th, 2014
 
 
 
I haven't seen a blue jay in our neighborhood in years, but I saw this one the other day in my backyard and just had to draw him. The colors of his plumage take my breath away. Nature is so incredible!
 
May 11th, 2014

What sorts of things have been inspiring you this week? Has spring brought about a return of some of your favorite flora or fauna?

4 comments:

  1. Oh I LOVE your sketches... especially the fairy with her baby... Gorgeous! It makes me realise how much I miss daily sketching - I tend to go through phases of sketching every day and then not sketching for months! I feel inspired :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sandra! The purpose of my blog is to hopefully inspire others somehow, so it makes me happy that it's inspired you. Looking forward to seeing some sketches in your upcoming blog posts! :)

      Delete
  2. These are all so sweet and so beautifully rendered. I love the mother and child fairies... that one is especially entrancing. There is such a delicate gracefulness to all of your work that is very unique and appealing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Katherine! I would use the same adjectives to describe your beautiful work as well. :)

      Delete